The Rouge River Winds is proud to present our Solo Competition for the 2017-18 season. This is designed to provide an opportunity to a deserving soloist from our community to perform with our ensemble.
- There are no age or instrument restrictions for this competition.
- Age and experience will be taken into consideration when evaluating the submissions.
- Recommendations are not required but can be submitted.
Music Selection Requirements:
- Applicants must choose a concerto or other work that has been composed or arranged for their solo instrument with wind band accompaniment, the published version of which must be readily accessible.
- The chosen work may be one, several, or all movements of a multi-movement work, or it may be a stand-alone piece.
- The piece or movement(s) chosen must be no more than 20 minutes in performance length.
How to Apply:
- Fill out the form linked below
- Record a video of yourself performing an excerpt from the chosen work, preferably with an accompanist; upload it to YouTube or a file-sharing service.
- Note: The excerpt should be no more than 10 minutes in length. If the entire work (or movements) intended for performance is under 10 minutes in length, then the entire work (or movements) should be presented.
- If completing the pdf, send the link and the attached form to email@example.com
- All submissions will be evaluated by our panel of judges. Judges will consider the technical proficiency, musical expression, and artistic integrity of the performance; the ability of the performer relative to their age and to the other applicants; and the availability and suitability of the chosen work. Judges may choose one or more winners, who will be invited to perform with the band.
- If an abnormally large number of submissions are received, the judges will narrow the applicants down; this short list of applicants will be asked to attend a second round of competition, and to perform their selected movements or excerpt live in front of the panel. A winner or winners will be chosen from this live competition round.
APPLICATIONS ARE NOW CLOSED